The Smelly Truth About Black Mold

Many people wonder what black mold smells like. If you’ve ever noticed a musty, earthy scent but couldn’t see any mold, you’re not alone. In this situation, check for locations that may have been exposed to water or moisture. Black mold thrives in moist, dark environments, so look for it under sinks, in cabinets, and in closets. If you notice mold forming, get rid of it as quickly as possible. Mold may cause major health concerns, so you don’t want to live with it.


What Is Black Mold?

Black mold is a type of fungi that can grow indoors and outdoors. The scientific name for black mold is Stachybotrys Chartarum (SC). While there are many types of mold, SC is the most commonly mentioned when discussing the health effects of indoor mold exposure. It’s often described as slimy or slippery to the touch and can range in color from greenish-black to grayish-white. SC requires cellulose (plant material) and moisture to grow. When these two conditions are met, SC can release spores into the air which can be inhaled by humans and animals. These spores can also land on surfaces where they can grow if the conditions are right.  


How Can You Detect Black Mold?

The most common way to detect black mold is by sight or smell. As mentioned earlier, black mold often gives off a musty odor which can be a telltale sign that it’s present. Another way to detect black mold is through a visual inspection. Look for any areas of your home that may have sustained water damage or been exposed to excessive moisture such as under sinks, in cabinets, or in closets. If you see any signs of mold growth, it’s important to get rid of it immediately as it can cause major health problems. 


What Are The Health Risks Associated With Black Mold?

Inhalation of black mold spores can cause a variety of health problems including allergic reactions, asthma attacks, headaches, memory loss, respiratory problems, skin irritation, and sinus infections. In more serious cases, inhalation of black mold spores has been linked to neurological disorders such as brain damage and cancer. Inhaling large amounts of black mold spores can also be fatal.  


If you think you might have black mold in your home, it’s important to get rid of it as soon as possible. You can do this yourself using products from your local hardware store or by hiring an expert. Either way, getting rid of the black mold is essential to protecting your health and the health of your family.


We offer air duct and dryer vent cleaning services in the Greater Sudbury area. Call or text  today for a free estimate at 705-996-4553


Learn more about duct cleaning . . .

What are signs of mold exposure
JC Densing

What are signs of mold exposure?

Mold Exposure: How to Recognize Symptoms and Protect Your Health Mold exposure is a serious health risk that should not be taken lightly. Mold can

Why is my closet so dusty
JC Densing

Why is my closet so dusty?

The Dirty Little Secret: Your Clothing Habits May Be Making Your Closet Dustier Than You Think! We’ve all seen dust build up over time. But

Table of Contents

Scroll to Top