Allergies from Mold Spores in the Air

For most people, mold spores in the air are harmless. However, for some people, these mold spores can cause an allergic reaction. Symptoms of an allergic reaction to mold spores may include sneezing, nasal congestion, runny nose, skin rash, itching, watery eyes, and asthma. In extreme cases, someone may have difficulty breathing or chest tightness. If you think you are allergic to mold spores, there are some things you can do to limit your exposure and lessen your symptoms. 

 

What is Mold?

Mold is a type of fungus that is found both outdoors and indoors. Mold thrives in warm and moist environments. Outdoors, mold helps decompose leaves and other plant matter. Indoors, mold can grow on damp walls, ceilings, carpets, and wood. Mold releases tiny spores into the air which can be inhaled by humans and animals. For most people, these mold spores cause no reaction. However, for some people who are allergic to mold spores, exposure can cause an allergic reaction. 

 

Symptoms of an Allergic Reaction to Mold Spores

Symptoms of an allergic reaction to mold spores may include sneezing, nasal congestion, runny nose, skin rash, itching watery eyes, and asthma. In extreme cases where a person is exposed to a large number of mold spores or has a severe allergy, they may have difficulty breathing or experience chest tightness. If you experience any of these symptoms after coming into contact with mold or after being in a damp environment, you may be allergic to mold spores. 

 

Limiting Your Exposure to Mold Spores

If you think you may be allergic to mold spores in the air, there are some things you can do to limit your exposure and help lessen your symptoms: 

 

-Keep your house clean and dry: Use fans or dehumidifiers to reduce moisture and condensation in your home. Wipe up spills immediately and clean surfaces that tend to collect moisture often (such as showers). Fix any leaks in order to prevent excess moisture buildup. Consider using an air purifier with a HEPA filter which can help remove mold spores from the air in your home. 

-Wear a mask: When outside or in a place where there is visible mold growth (such as a damp basement), wear a mask over your nose and mouth to help prevent inhaling mold spores. 

-See your doctor: If your symptoms are severe or if you have difficulty breathing after exposure to mold spores talk to your doctor about possible medical treatment options such as allergy shots which could help lessen your symptoms over time. 

 

Mold exposure can cause sneezing runny nose itchy eyes skin rash chest tightness and difficulty breathing in extreme situations for persons who are allergic To mold spores If you feel that you might be allergic take precautions such as keeping your house clean and utilizing An air purifier And wearing a mask when necessary If symptoms persist see A doctor for treatment options like allergy shots

 

We offer air duct and dryer vent cleaning services in the Greater Sudbury area. Call or text  today for a free estimate at 705-996-4553

 

Learn more about duct cleaning . . .

Why is my lint trap not catching lint?

Is Your Lint Trap Lying to You?   Blog Introduction: Have you ever noticed that your lint trap isn’t capturing any lint after a load

Table of Contents

Tags
Scroll to Top